It often seems that in any given year there is a common theme among our Leadership in Motion recipients. This year is no exception. Innovative techniques, creative solutions, and proactive leadership were evident throughout the nominations.
This is not surprising – true leadership frequently involves thinking outside the box and being willing to try something new. This year’s recipients did just that.
Just a few examples:
- Ada County Highway District’s (ACHD’s) Eagle Road Bridge over Dry Creek used a new Geosynthetic Reinforced Soil-Integrated Bridge System (GRS-IBS) technique, resulting in time and cost savings and reducing the amount of time the road was closed to travelers.
- The Idaho Transportation Department’s (ITD’s) Interstate 84 rehabilitation project used an innovative weekend crossover technique to minimize the impact on the traveling public.
- Rachele Klein of Republic Services started a new program to rescue bicycles from the trash and donate them to local bicycle organizations to refurbish and use or donate.
- Valley Regional Transit overcame a multitude of hurdles to build its Main Street Station, using a forward-thinking public/private partnership and incorporating unique artwork and design features – resulting in a facility that is much more than simply a “bus station.”
- Private citizen Sylvia Marmon drove an ACHD Commuteride vanpool for 17 years…after driving her own private carpool for years before that. Day after day, year after year, Sylvia proactively did her part to encourage smart transportation options and reduce the number of vehicles on the road.
None of these successes could have happened without leadership that fosters innovation and encourages the adoption of new ideas. ACHD Commission President Paul Woods and Idaho Transportation Board Member Julie DeLorenzo both received the “Leadership by Example” award, recognizing their roles in supporting innovation and furthering the goals of Communities in Motion.
Want to learn more about this year’s recipients? You can find descriptions of each of their accomplishments www.compassidaho.org/comm/lim-awards.htm#winners.
Trying something new can be risky, but rewarding. I hope these Leadership in Motion recipients will inspire you to take that leap and find an innovation solution to your next challenge.