In November 2011 I wrote my first blog about Communities in Motion 2040. Since then, I’ve blogged about the youth art and video contests, Communities in Motion 2040 Vision, “Your Treasure Valley Future” photo challenge, why you should care about long-range planning, and more…all related to Communities in Motion 2040.
After more than two years of blogging about the progress of the plan and ways for you to be involved, the finish line is in sight. The full draft of Communities in Motion 2040 is open for public comment – YOUR comment – through Sunday, April 27, 2014.
Please take a few minutes to review the draft plan, then submit your comments. Pay particular attention to these issues:
- The plan includes 17 goals addressing eight planning elements. Do you agree with these overall goals?
- The transportation needs outlined in the plan are based on future growth as depicted in the Communities in Motion 2040 Vision. Do you agree with this overall vision for the future of the valley?
- The goals and Communities in Motion 2040 Vision have little meaning if we can’t tell if we are making progress toward meeting them. COMPASS has developed performance measures to track progress. Do you agree with the performance measures that were chosen? How do you think COMPASS should use those measures?
- Financial projections indicate that there will not be enough revenue in the future to maintain our current transportation system, much less expand it to meet a growing population. Therefore, the COMPASS Board of Directors has chosen to focus all federal transportation funding allocated via Communities in Motion 2040 toward maintenance. Do you agree with this decision?
- We need to know what our future priorities are to be ready should additional funding become available. The plan lists 33 prioritized transportation priorities and corridors based on needs to keep up with forecasted growth. Do you agree with this list?
Go online to review materials, comment, and learn about other ways to be involved: http://www.compassidaho.org/prodserv/cim2040.htm#PublicComment.
After the public comment period ends on Sunday, April 27, 2014, we’ll provide all of your comments to the Communities in Motion 2040 Planning and Leadership Teams and the COMPASS Board. They will consider your comments and address any necessary changes before considering the plan for adoption.
The Board is expected to adopt the plan in July. Thank you for your hard work and patience as we’ve moved through this process, and for helping us to be ready for the big finish.