Yesterday COMPASS presented our annual Leadership in Motion awards, recognizing businesses, individuals, and projects that demonstrate leadership in supporting the Treasure Valley’s regional long-range transportation plan, Communities in Motion.
Reviewing the nominations has quickly become one of my favorite parts of my job. Even though I try to keep up on what is happening around the valley, as I read the nominations I am amazed by the innovative projects that are moving forward and being completed despite the tough economic times, and by the dedication and energy of the individuals who are nominated for their leadership.
I’ve listed the winners below and provide a link where you can learn more about each, but I’d briefly like to highlight one particular winner here.
Joe Luppens of Kuna was awarded the “Leadership by Example, Individual” award. Joe served as chairperson of the Kuna 2010 Census “Complete Count Committee,” a group whose purpose was to encourage all citizens of Kuna to complete their Census forms and be counted.
The committee was highly successful. Kuna had an 82% Census return rate, well above Ada County’s average, the national average, and Kuna’s 2000 rate. The additional participation is estimated to bring in nearly $400,000 per year more to the community from federal government appropriations, compared to funding based on the 2000 Census return rate.
However, while this success is to be commended, Joe didn’t receive the award because of the success of the committee. What was truly impressive was Joe’s work and dedication. Joe spent countless hours and chaired this committee completely as a volunteer – not as a city employee, not as part of another job – strictly his own time. Joe also spent his own money to promote the census – even buying T-shirts for outreach out of his own pocket. Joe’s selfless dedication is a great example of leadership by example by an individual and is something we can all strive to emulate. Thank you, Joe.
2010 Leadership in Motion Winners:
- Leadership by Example Award, Canyon County
- City of Caldwell, Pathways and Bike Routes Master Plan
- Leadership by Example Award, Ada County
- Boise State University, for programs that encourage transportation alternatives and wise land use planning
- Leadership in Private Business Award, Canyon County
- J-U-B Engineers, Inc., for design work on a federal aid rehabilitation project on Homedale Road
- Leadership in Private Business Award, Ada County
- Downtown Boise Association, for a program to place artwork on traffic signal controller boxes in downtown Boise
- Leadership by Example Award, Individual
- Joe Luppens, citizen volunteer, Kuna Census Complete Count Committee
- Leadership by Example Award, Elected Official (2 winners)
- Councilmember Elaine Clegg, City of Boise City
- Mayor Tom Dale, City of Nampa
Visit www.compassidaho.org/comm/awards.htm to learn more about each recipient.